Further to the summer Stash Attack, I’ve used a length of lightweight white poly crepe making up View A of a pattern I must have bought in the mid to late 70s. View A is top right in the artwork I found on Google images.
My pattern envelope is in tatters, but basically it offers 3 styles, the fourth just being like A but sleeves not rolled up. I vaguely remember making the version top left, which has the sleeve cut in one with the front bodice.
The pattern pre-dates the era of multi size and there’s space for the stitching line to be printed and plenty of additional information. I made this up per envelope, no measuring or fitting of the pattern or garment. The fabric wasn’t precious and didn’t merit a toile.
Fit is better than I expected, a bit long, but otherwise not too bad. The finish in the cuff is a continuous strip opening. The buttons are half an inch wide, and if you follow the directions for the cuff closure you only get half an inch overlap in the cuff. I like a bit more for that size button. Pockets feel a bit crude to me, if I made the shirt again these could be changed too.
There’s a tab included to hold the cuffs rolled.
The basic pattern is good, easy to assemble, if a little long winded with all the shirt details.
I also made a couple of summer cardigans (from my own pattern this time), using short lengths of jersey from stash.
The pattern is drafted as a batwing kimono. The first is in a lightweight navy jersey with good stretch and return. There’s a small pleat at the shoulder in the front, and a continuous straight strip round the neckline, front edge and hem back and front.
The front strip declined to work as I’d envisaged. The bolero style curve in the front pieces was too shaped to manipulate the strip round. The band’s width meant that the outer edge was a lot longer than the curve it had to be eased in to. It needs a shaped band, or narrower band to sit flat. Not having any spare fabric I left it. As so often happens, what seems like a sewing fail when you first look it over, grows on you. It’s been worn several times, is light, easy and comfortable, in movement doesn’t look too bad.
The next is in a cream stretch jersey with a self coloured pattern knitted in. This time I shaped the band, finished it at the side seams, and gave it some flare on the outer edge. To keep it light, I cut this as a single layer hemmed. I also added pockets in the side seam. The other pattern tweak was moving the pleat closer to the neck edge. Again, not a garment I was totally happy with when finished, but which has been worn a lot and proved useful.
The pockets sit in the side seam and are caught in the bottom band to keep them tidy.
I lengthened and straightened the back piece and gave it a small hem.
Flat on the floor you can see the basic shape better.
Brexit battles it’s batsh*t barmy way through Parliament and the news, and we’re still as uninformed about our fate as ever. We’re lucky enough to live a short drive from a working forest and took the dog for a long walk through the dripping canopy of green in yesterday’s long awaited downpour, enjoying the calm, quiet emptyness. Just us, dog, soaking rain and trees. Perfect!