The shirt in repurposed fabric, intended to be worn with the cloqué skirt was finished this week except for buttons and buttonholes. Its a simple shape, armhole princess seams back and front, standard shirt collar, fly front, sleeves gathered into cuffs. I cut the pattern from my block and struck lucky on the fit, just as well as the space for seam allowance was very limited. Its finished with zigzag as my overlocker is on the blink, and 1cm turnings limited the options.
I used a scrap of striped cotton inside the fly to save fabric and reduce bulk.
The front seams end in a small slit.
I found a few silver white buttons in stash.
These, I hope will tie in with the silver woven pattern on the cloqué. Now just need to get some small flat brown buttons for the concealed section.
This is the third project hanging about. My edge to edge coat now only needs fastenings and sleeve hems, and jeans are waiting for a second embroidery foot, but regardless of the build up I pulled out another piece from Joel Sale.
It’s blouse weight, just 1.35 of a metre, which will become a blouse for one daughter. The background is black. I set myself an equivalence test for these purchases – each piece has to make a garment which wouldn’t seem over pricey in rtw. Or to put it another way, wouldn’t cost more than I’d expect to spend on, in this case, a blouse. Makes sense to me.