The skirt from the remnant of cloqué bought from Joel & Son is finished. When I bought this I visualised using the piece for a long skirt with one seam in the back, but went instead for a simple A line short skirt that will get more use. I handstitched the hem to avoid stitches showing on the right side and hand finished the inside edge of the waistband. Otherwise, bog standard making up process with invisible side zip.
The fabric is a mid brown with a silver grey woven pattern. A mixture of a white sewing thread and a silver embroidery thread threaded through a top stitch needle gave me a close match to the silver colour. I’m holding the decision on whether or not to top stitch the skirt seams until I’ve made the top to go with this. It’s going to be made in plain brown, salvaged from an ancient UFO, not an exact match but good with it. Somewhere I have a silver grey chiffon. That could be an alternative top.
Some close ups of the fabric pattern show its embroidery quality. The unusual colour combination and slightly wacky semi-abstracted natural forms appealed to me, as well as the texture contrast in the weaving technique. The silvery threads are in a soft, thickish, loose spun yarn, the crinkly background is in tight spun fine yarns in black and brown.
I especially like the freestyle quality of the flowers below.
At the other fabric extreme I sewed up a camisole from a scrap of left-over lycra mix originally from an ebay seller. I almost never bother to sew stretch camisoles, but this is for a daughter who needs more length in the body than rtw offers. I’ve a fair -sized heap of camisole sized scraps, they can join the mass production queue of Vogue trousers. One pair of these was made this week too – from the version I cut with the pointed yoke. The pattern needed significant adjustment for this daughter’s non standard measurement set.