V1408 was this week’s quick and easy stash buster, using 1.55 m of a navy ponte jersey, with about another 20cms by a third of the width, to make a ‘wearable toile’. Getting the pattern out of this was the hardest part – especially as I needed to lengthen each one of those very flared panels by five inches. I wanted to put sleeves in, measured the armhole and worked up a sleeve pattern, but didn’t have enough fabric.
The pattern calls for (in size 12) 1.3 m of main fabric with two additional contrasts, 1.0m of one and 0.5 of the other, but the skirt finishes as just nineteen inches below the waist. Each skirt panel has a considerable flare on each seam, adding length also adds a lot of hem width.
I skipped lining and finished the neckline and armholes with a black ribbed binding, and didn’t need the zip. The envelope shows the pattern in three subtle shades, hard to find, but a good idea.
Next the thorny question of fit. I made a 12. If I went by bust sizing I’d cut one and a half or two sizes up from that. In other words Vogue is again plentiful with ease. If you went for an FBA on a smaller size the position of the bodice seams should make it reasonably easy for smaller additions. You could draw in a shaped new line on the side section to get more room. Princess seams go from the neckline.
There are ten main pieces (not including lining) but despite this it’s very quick to assemble, the notches all line up and the curves are do-able. Used like this, no lining, no zip, zero fitting, it’s an easy pattern. The tech drawing gives the impression that seam matching will be a nightmare, I didn’t find it so.
I wore it rock hopping before finishing seam allowances, clipping and pressing.
This shows the way the skirt works better.
There is a lot of flare at the hemline. You could reduce it if lengthening the pieces, to arrive at something closer to the pattern width at its hemline. I liked the way it falls in folds, which might be lost if you mess with the angles of the panels.
Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions of fixes for the green velvet. I haven’t touched it yet. It usually takes me a while to get into the frame of mind to rework things. Here’s a former flop I’ve just fished out of the drawer of the damned.
V8146 was an early run-in with the difference between Vogue’s drafting and my own. Let’s just say it looked cute in the drawing on the packet and sh*tty on me. I lengthened, added pockets and cuffs, cut a new collar but still couldn’t get the image of how it was supposed to look out of my head. It’s been tucked out of sight for x years. I’ve tried it on again. I think it can be made to work now I’ve forgotten how it was supposed to be.