PR’s Sewing Bee Contest Round 2 requires making something from up to 5 men’s shirts this week. I was only able to get one desperately dull white poly cotton number which was more of a handicap than an opportunity. Guess what! Piles of cast offs in Goodwill don’t happen here. Still, many good entries for round 1 got eliminated with some bruised feelings. I feel obliged to show the flag – if a white one ha ha!
To get away from the shirt’s native blandness my sewing machine churned out this wacky little number.
What I did.
- Used my standard 12 block to make a rough pattern.
- Put the front on the front shirt upside down with the opening at an angle
- Cut the bottom hem in angled scallops to echo the skirt I made in round 1.
- Cut an asymmetric neckline and used the original (huge) white collar on it
- Made undercollar and details made from scraps of black silk
- Re-cut the sleeves as set in with a small gather at the head
- Made tucks above the sleeve opening to give a pushed up look
- Closed the opening with a tie in the black silk.
- Shortened the pocket, made a flap in black silk and repositioned it
Result – not my greatest, but several ideas I didn’t have the fabric for got added to my potential patterns sketchbook whilst making it.