This is the made by me item I’m sporting today, old photo, taken when the dress was made and reviewed on PR in 2010. Its made in a twill woven plaid with a slightly brushed surface and lined in light grey poly satin.
Here’s what I wrote about the pattern:-
This pattern is an almalgam between BWOF 12 09 112 and a bodice part drafted from my own block, adapting a design in Pattern Magic. This has a cowl neckline which is pulled down by an asymetric shaped facing. The aim was to have it echo the skirt wrap, without doing another wrap for the top. So the facing I used is also an asymmetric shape at the top edge, and the straight cowl line attaches to this. The facing catches in at the armscye for about four inches down from the shoulder seam. I cut a back neck facing and also caught this in to the armscye. I could probably have used a full bodice lining instead, but decided that the difference in the two fabrics might make it difficult to launder. I went for simple sleeves, so it could easily be worn under a cardi or jacket, and finished them with a contrast cuff band. I used my standard sleeve block for this, made them bracelet length, and tightened the cuff end slightly by closing the dart and opening a small amount of ease at the elbow.
Its been a workhorse dress for chill days like today – still sunny, still a wicked wind.